Carolina Beach Elementary Celebrates it's History
Plaque for Carolina Beach Elementary from the Federal Point Historical Society
Carolina Beach Elementary school was started in 1937. It was opened in 1938 with 55 students. It was reconstructed after the town fire and Wilmington defense projects impacted the growth of area. Additions were needed to support the growing school population in 1942. In 1953 three classrooms were added and auditorium doubled. A kitchen area was added so students could eat lunch at school. In 1971 the school changed from graders 1-6 to grades 1-4. The Denning T. Buchter Primary Wing with six classrooms was added in 1975. Also, in 1975 trailers and additional personnel were added. In 1977 improvements to the playground by the PTA and Carolina Beach Recreation Department were made. Fire damaged the school in 1982. 1983 brought about the reconstruction you see now to the building. Carolina Beach Elementary is rich with history. We have 20 regular classrooms and approximately 474 students enrolled.
Down load a copy of the Federal Point Historic Preservation Society brochure on the History of Carolina Beach School.
Pat Bolander, President of the Federal Point
Historic Preservation Society opened the ceremony.
PTO President, Ron Poythress
gave a moving speech on community spirit.
Our students enjoyed taking a glimpse of the past.
The Carolina Beach Elementary School chorus under the direction of Mrs. T. Garcia sang the school song.
Former students and staff attended the ceremony.
Our camera staff was on hand to capture this
moment in history.